Chatsworth House, North Derbyshire, England.
The seat of the Duke of Devonshire since 1549.
Originaly build in 1553 based on the “Court of Chetel” from the times of Edward the Confessor. The building now a days was first re-built between 1687 and 1707 in the site of the original Tudor Mansion (built between 1553-1560’s) by the 1rst Duke of Devonshire, the south and east front were completed in 1696 by William Talman . In the early 19th century the 6th Duke (the Bachelor Duke) added the north wing made by Jeffry Wyatville.
Isaac Royall House, Medford, Massachusetts, USA.
Built between 1732-1737 this house is one of the finest 18t century houses in the States. It is conservated thanks to the Royall House Association, a group of men and women who bought the house, slave quarters and about an acre for keepping as a museum in 1908.
The mansion was confiscated at the beggining of the american Revolution after the owner ranaway to England, and was used as headquarters. After that, Colonel Cary (Washington’s secretary) lived there for two years, then it turned into a boarding school, returned to Isaac Royall’s granddaughter who sold it to a rum destiller and it was kept in this familiy untill the end of the 19th century when the Daughter of American Revolution thought about preserve it for its historic and aesthetic value.
Learn more HERE at their webpage.
“The Honorable Henry Fane with Inigo Jones and Charles Blair”, 1761-66, Sir Joshua Reynolds.
Henry Fane was the 2nd son of the eighth Earl of Westmorland, he is the one sitting with the greyhound on his knee. Wearing red is Charles Blair, Fane’s brother in law and in blue is Inigo Jones, a relative of the famous architect.